What can you knit to sell online


If you want to sell your knitting online, the best advice I can give is to knit something you like to knit, and are good at.

I personally knit hats for babies and children.

I think hats, in particular baby hats, are great to sell as they knit up quickly, I find them interesting to make, without too much repetition.

Hats always sell well.  They are not expensive for people to buy, and they are a necessity in the winter.  People also love to buy hats for gifts to new parents. Can't go wrong with hats.

TOP TIP - THIS AUTHOR HAS SOME GREAT QUICK TO KNIT PATTERN BOOKS WHICH YOU CAN USE TO MAKE THINGS TO SELL 

The main reason I knit hats though is that I enjoy it.  I have seen many other knitted items selling really well online, from designer look cardigans and dresses, to hand knitted coffee cosy cups.

Tea cosies are popular, people love a bit of vintage and retro in their home.

Other sought after knits are cardigans for babies, scarves, blankets, slippers, socks, toys (I would be careful with these though as you need a CE mark), dish cloths, facial wash cloths, gloves, wrist warmers, and headbands.  Choosing what to sell depends on your level of skill and time available for knitting and on where you are going to sell them.

You may need to think about whether what you are selling is subject to copyright issues. I have written an article about that, please click here to read it.

You definitely need to think about time, and whether you sell your item for enough money to make it worth your while. Ten hours knitting to receive say ten pounds surely isn't worth the effort. It is up to you to make such decisions.

Good photos and good marketing will make your items more desirable and enable you to charge more for you goods.

A final point, and another reason I sell small items, is that items may get lost in the post. You can of course send by registered mail to minimise this, however this costs more, and is also more hassle in the post office. I guess that wouldn't be an issue if selling a low volume of high value items. I just know how upsetting it is when work somehow disappears in the post, it is lost hours. I think I would cry if twenty hours of my life disappeared in the post. Thats why I sell small, fast to knit items.







Comments